Social Media Trends 2011
18 February 2011
Five startup markets are projected to grow immensely throughout 2011:
- Object Tagging: In the past few years tagging people and places in photos and status updates has become commonplace and barcode scanning mobile applications have grown in popularity. In 2011 this trend will move into object tagging enabling users to add their own content to physical objects in the real world.
- Check In Services: In demand throughout 2010, checkin services will likely extend into entertainment in 2011, with a number of companies pushing “check in to content, get rewards concept.”
- Website Communities: In an effort to further engage visitors and increase their time on site, more websites are expected to incorporate community elements such as social networking and rewards and gaming features.
- Location Sharing Counter Culture: While popularity of checkins is unlikely to be challenged, geolocation technology will be applied to more practical elements of consumers’ personal lives – keeping track of the kids, communicating with close circle of friends based on geographic location, etc.
- Mobile Photo Sharing: Interest in mobile photo sharing is predicted to continue its growth in 2011 as applications are swelling in number and smartphone adoption is on the rise.